Here are some ministry ideas for Jerusalem (local) mission projects that churches, Sunday School classes, mission groups, and others can do to reach their communities:
1. Disaster Relief – Church building serves as a shelter or feeding center
2. Literacy – Adult literacy classes
3. Sports – Upward sports teams, Sports Crusaders, community leagues, clinics
4. Hunger – Food pantries, serving meals, keeping food packets (granola bars, jerky, etc.) in auto glove compartments to give to someone in need
5. Senior adult – Nursing home visits and/or Bible studies, senior-to-senior ministries
6. Medical – Health testing
7. Clothing – Clothes closet or supporting other clothing ministries
8. Poverty –Assisting local missions, providing information about community resources, (see Hunger and Clothing ministries above)
9. Children – Apartment ministries, backyard Bible clubs, Vacation Bible School,
10. School – Providing a meal to teachers during teacher preparation week, adopt-a-school (ask principal what needs to be done - painting, tutoring, mentoring, etc.)
11. Emergency responders – Providing a meal for and/or holding special services to recognize local fire, police and EMT personnel
12. Parks and highways – Beautification projects including clean-up, brush cutting, etc
13. Surveys and evangelism – Direct and door-to-door surveys, giving out information about church and inviting people to attend.
14. International people groups – Church planting, English as a second language (ESL) classes, Bible study
15. Special needs – Sunday School classes and Bible studies, providing transportation, building ramps for sister churches and homes
16. Pregnancy centers – Bible studies, help with construction and landscaping, donating needed items
17. Construction – Assisting sister churches with construction needs, help widows and single mothers with home repair projects
18. Church planting – Start a new church, help support a church planter through door-to-door surveys, block parties or financial gifts, allow church plants to use space in your church building to meet
19. Prison/criminal justice – Bible studies at correctional facilities for prisoners and off-site for ex-offenders, volunteer with at-risk teens and at juvenile centers
20. Collegiate – Begin or support local Baptist collegiate groups, adopt-astudent (invite to home for a meal or for holiday, drive student to doctor appointment, etc.).
These are all great opportunities to serve in your community. The challenge is to develop a strategic plan to spread the Gospel while you are ministering in your community. E-mail DwayneDoyle@IBSA.org or call (217) 391-3134 for more ideas and information.