By Chase Abner, Collegiate Evangelism Director
Each summer since 1997, Beloit College releases a list of facts and opinions about the generation of young adults who would be entering college in the fall. Perhaps you’ve seen it mentioned in the paper or on the television news. They call this list "The Mindset List" and rightly so as it captures what are inevitably key influences on the way these young people perceive reality. Here’s just a smattering from the list for the class of 2016. Take a look and consider how different this year’s "mindset" may be from your own.
- For this generation of entering college students, born in 1994, Kurt Cobain, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Richard Nixon and John Wayne Gacy have always been dead.
- The Biblical sources of terms such as "Forbidden Fruit," "The writing on the wall," "Good Samaritan," and "The Promised Land" are unknown to most of them.
- For most of their lives, maintaining relations between the U.S. and the rest of the world has been a woman’s job in the State Department.
- Since they've been born, the United States has measured progress by a 2 percent jump in unemployment and a 16 cent rise in the price of a first class postage stamp.
- Billy Graham is as familiar to them as Otto Graham was to their parents.
Astonishing, right? And that’s coming from a guy who has worked directly with college students for the better part of a decade.
The point is that if we are called to reach out to all people of all ages, then we should be paying careful attention to the "mindsets" of the next generations. More specifically, we need to pray for them, tell them how the Gospel is the supreme "mindset," and demonstrate for them how good life in the Kingdom is.
IBSA’s collegiate ministry team exists to help you support those ministries on the front lines of our college campuses. We’re also here to help you have Christ-centered ministries to college students within your church. Please contact us and let us work together with our minds set on Christ and His glory.
Read the full version of "The Mindset List for the Class of 2016" from Beloit College