After four months of disaster relief ministry, Southern Baptist leaders are making preparations to welcome teams of volunteers to New York and New Jersey to help homeowners continue recovering from the damage left by Super Storm Sandy. All of the details have not yet been finalized, but the information below should assist groups making decisions about whether to include the Sandy Recovery ministry in their plans for this summer.
Additional information will be posted at www.NAMB.net/dr as details become available.
• We anticipate having housing for as many as 150 volunteers per night available beginning May 1, 2013.
• Information concerning how to register a team will be available soon at www.NAMB.net/dr
• Volunteers will be housed in large groups separated by gender. We will not be able to provide housing for individual groups, families or couples.
• Participants must have completed at least the 7th grade prior to arrival, or be at least 14 years of age. No one who has not completed at least the 7th grade will be permitted in the housing area or on work sites unless they are at least 14 years old.
• Teams must include at least one adult, aged 21 years or older of the same gender, for every five participants under 18 years of age. This means a team with 7 girls and 3 boys aged 14-17 must include at least 2 women and 1 man 21 years or older.
• A non-refundable registration fee of $15 per person will be required for each participant.
• $15 per person per night will be charged for housing and meals.
Most of the cleanup work has been completed, however there may be some tear out of flooded homes that teams could be asked to do. Other work we expect teams might take on includes:
• Dry wall installation and finish
• Ceramic tile, laminate, and hardwood floor installation
Groups interested in taking part in the Sandy Recovery Ministry should contact the coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org.