This study was done by the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in partnership with NAMB. A thousand SBC churches were asked about their use of Attractional Harvest Events defined as: the event utilized attraction to draw lost people to attend, it was bathed in prayer, well prepared for, and the Gospel was presented along with an invitation to respond.
Five hundred of these churches were the most effective evangelistic churches in the SBC. These churches baptize the most people; they assimilate them, and are all growing numerically.
7 Key Findings:
1. Nearly all A-CHURCHES, which are the nation's most highly effective evangelistic SBC churches, sponsor evangelistic events, do several of them annually, do them especially well, and get excellent results.
2. There is a significant demonstrable correlation between SBC churches which sponsor several evangelistic events annually and do them well, these Southern Baptist churches across the USA are performing at the highest levels of evangelistic effectiveness (A-CHURCHES).
3. There is also a significant demonstrable correlation between SBC churches which sponsor fewer evangelistic events and do them less well, these Southern Baptist churches across the USA are performing at moderate levels of evangelistic effectiveness (B-CHURCHES).
4. Two-thirds of A-CHURCHES sponsor both evangelistic events AND an active personal evangelism program.
5. Significantly more A-CHURCHES sponsor evangelistic events than B-CHURCHES, which are less evangelistically effective churches.
6. A-CHURCHES sponsor significantly more evangelistic events and do significantly better preparation and follow-up for evangelistic events than B-CHURCHES.
7. More A-CHURCHES sponsor (in order) holiday related, revival-like, and sports and recreation evangelistic events than any other types. More than half sponsor revival-like evangelistic events.